Built Heritage


Built Heritage – Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas

Listed buildings

A building is listed when it is of special architectural or historic interest considered to be of national importance and therefore worth protecting.

Listed buildings come in three categories of ‘significance’:

  • Grade I for buildings of the highest significance
  • Grade II* and
  • Grade II

If a property is listed there will be extra control over what changes can be made to both its  interior and exterior. Owners will need to apply for Listed Building Consent for most types of work that affect the ‘special architectural or historic interest’ of the property.

Listing covers a whole building, unless parts of it are specifically excluded in the list description. It can also cover:

  • Other attached structures and fixtures
  • Later extensions or additions
  • Pre-1948 buildings on land attached to the building.

Owning a listed building involves a level of responsibility which should not be taken lightly.  It is a criminal offence to carry out work which needs listed building consent without obtaining it beforehand.

You will need Listed Building Consent for all work to a listed building that involves alterations, extensions or demolition as these works may affect the buildings character as a building of special architectural or historic interest.

Planning permission and/or Listed Building Consent may also be needed for other buildings  and structures that are within the curtilage of a listed property. (In planning, the term ‘curtilage’ is used to describe land attached to the building.)

Properties in conservation areas:

Some conservation areas are subject to special controls when the local planning authority wishes to protect particular building features, such as doors or windows. These are called ‘Article 4 Directions’, and restrict work that would not normally require planning permission, such as replacing a door with one of a similar design.

Demolition in a Conservation Area

If you live in a conservation area and want to demolish your building, you will need Planning Permission. If the building is listed, you will also need Listed Building Consent.

Project Experience:

AM-P has extensive experience of working with home and business owners on listed building projects and can assist you with your Planning and Listed Building Consent applications, including applications in retrospect.

Brick House Farm, Uttlesford – AM-P has prepared a number of retrospective householder and listed building applications for a property owner who unfortunately had inherited existing planning breaches when they purchased their new Grade II Listed home.

One retrospective application for a replacement hall window was refused by the Local Planning Authority’s Conservation Officer but has subsequently been allowed at Appeal.

Abbots Hall, Braintree District Council – AM-P has prepared a number of householder applications for works and alterations to a Grade II Listed Georgian Manor House known as Abbots Hall, located in the Parish of Shalford, in Braintree, Essex. Planning permission was given for extensive works to the house interior and exterior, and buildings within the curtilage of the house. This work has included the renovation of a Coach House, a new courtyard and kitchen garden, the remodelling of the landscaped grounds and an attractive walled garden amenity space with lap pool.

Saling Hall, Braintree District Council – AM-P successfully obtained planning permission and listed building consent for a change of use from residential to a country house restaurant with rooms; removal of piecemeal additions to the rear; re-creation of the east-west cross-wing to northern elevation; internal and external alterations to the main hall; internal and external alterations to northern annexe; alterations to access and associated car parking provision; and, associated landscaping and ancillary development. Negotiations with Historic England and an extensive programme of public consultation was instrumental in the successful outcome of this project.

The Swan, Braintree District Council – A change of use application was submitted for the conversion of a Grade II Listed public house known as The Swan to two residential dwellings and the conversion of an outbuilding to one residential dwelling; with associated parking and amenity space. The property is located in the Bures Hamlet Conservation Area.


Link to: All Projects